The 20-ton goods brake van was first introduced in 1951, and is based upon the earlier L.N.E.R. vehicle. Production was commenced by the North Eastern Region of British Railways, and many hundreds were brought into service.
The brake van has a steel under frame and timber body, fitted with seats, lockers and a stove for the guard, in addition to the screw brake hand wheel and vacuum brake application gear. The body features projecting side windows for all round visibility.
Length over buffers 27ft
Inside body length 10ft
Overall height, including chimney 12ft, 2in
Wheel base 16ft
Plain journals running in fabricated steel axle boxes with 3ft 2in-diameter disc wheels. Fitted vacuum brake with one 18in cylinder operating two brake blocks to each wheel, with an additional screw hand brake operated from inside the body.